sunnuntai 9. elokuuta 2015

Sami - Birthday

Time has passed yet again and it's time to put some text up in here. It has been a while, so there is quite a bit to write about.

As far as the project goes, some issues regarding communication have been apparent, and that has been an ongoing issue when it comes to my work. It has been demotivating, and so I tend to stick to my own things while trying to keep up with what needs to be done to the best of my ability.
A lot of my focus has been put into the UI of the game, and I've needed to inquire about changes that may have happened instead of actually being informed of changes. As for texturing, some of that has gone smoothly and the assets have been added. Some things have required reworking, but it seems the base is fine in most cases.

Free time

All in all it's been true that the free time here has been far more interesting than school. Even though I have no laptop of my own and idle time at the apartment would be wasted by sitting around thinking about things, there tend to be things that come up and keep me occupied. Whenever I am idle however, there are a few ways I spend that time. Thinking about life in general, my past experiences, fear for the future and the somewhat unreal realization that I am across the globe from my home are things that appear in my head when I take time to rest. That or I play Monster Hunter or enjoy animated shows with my flatmates.
I have also decided to spend some Saturdays at least partially in school to draw and study if it precedes some plans. To keep myself active and motivated.

I and Jussi went to a nearby arcade. Very cool experience, plenty of games available only in Asia. Mostly racing, rhythm based or light gun shooter games. King of Fighters and Metal Slug 4 appeared as a few rare gems of genre breaking pieces, as well as a single pinball machine. A few games to mention. There was a boxed in shooter with a horror theme. Sadly I can't remember the name. It had plenty of jumpscares and the seat would shake or wind would be blown to your face or sides when something happened.
Another was a mix of genres I haven't encountered before: A rhythm based light gun shooter, where you'd shoot things on screen in the rhythm of music. Everything was in Japanese so I couldn't tell you the name since I can't read those signs. Enjoyed the game plenty though.
The place was not coin operated, but instead used top-up cards. Deceiving in a way since it's much faster to use, and you tend to put more into your card's balance.

Catering pt.2

We had a repeat of the former weekend. We decided to cook more for the locals and rouse up more conversation. We made macaroni casserole this time, Since serving it was easier and it was all mixed in, this dish was a lot more popular despite being a bit too lacking in salt for a Finn. Sadly, BG could not attend, but quite a few people came by. Chatting about various things and possible plans for days to come. All in all, getting to know folks a little better.
Later on during the evening we were visited by some more students and also got gifts. There's some celebrations going on overall, so we were gifted some tidbits suitable for dessert. Flavours both familiar and new, mostly on the sweet side.

One evening an engineer asked everyone a strange question. His tone seemed akin to random bouts of madness, as is common for engineers. I needed to request him to repeat himself many times due to my confusion, something about termites and smoke. After about the twentieth attempt, I understood what he meant. A student invited anyone willing over to take care of some driftwood she found and wanted for herself. Without wondering about their motivation, I joined in.
I, Aleksi the mad engineer and Teo joined in with two students. The initial plan was to smoke any termites out. With some really lacking tools, the idea was doomed from the start, and we sought for an alternative. As we are speaking of driftwood, water is no issue. So we went to drown the piece in a fountain and stuck there for quite a while. An hour or so, I'd say. We spoke about this and that, sharing myths, legends and stories as well as talking about tv-shows among other things.

SG50, first day

We learned that Singapore's 50th birthday would be celebrated throughout a week including both weekends, with the first and last days being the busiest. BG Invited me, Teo and Teemu for a barbeque, and the selection was better than last time. We spent many hours eating and drinking, enjoying crayfish, prawn, squid, salmon, saba, mutton, chicken, beef, pork, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and noodles with a selection of soft drinks and a 70 dollar personal tap of beer. A great feast to say the least, with the intention to eat until we would be kicked out. That did not happen in the end, but we'd leave on our own terms and with a full stomach.
Might I add that Marina Bay, the area we were at, resembled Jurassic Park mixed in with a sci-fi feel. Mixture of exotic vegetation, cars going about giving tours with automated robotic voices, giant metal structures made to resemble trees, a boat-like spaceship-esque structure on top of three towers which were far larger than I imagined when I first saw them probably kilometres away, and a giant dome of glass and a network of pipes. Truly a sight to behold.
Either way, we left to lie down in an open grass field, since soon there would be fireworks. The whole thing lasted about half an hour. They gave teasers of the show to come, and finally the sky lit up in bright colours for five minutes straight.
After this unique view, we headed home. Public transport and roads were absolutely stuffed with people, and we even saw large queues for elevators. I have never been in such a busy area, navigation was difficult. In the end we entered a large mall beneath the boat spaceship, and I was struck with some vertigo. My travelmates took a few jabs at me with this, daring me to look down at what looked like a maze of platforms on different levels. In the end we got ourselves a taxi cab and got home safely.

Week of SG50, local experience

A new course was planned by a few flatmates. I, Teo and Teemu once again formed a group to head for Plaza Singapura in Dhoby Ghaut. A mall in there included stores that sparked my interest. Replica models of bladed and projectile weapons of both real and fictional origin. Lord of the Rings, God of War, ancient Japan and China, viking weapons as well as muskets, models of cannons and armour. Next to this were stores that included game merchandise and figurines. I was fooled to think that I had found the limit on lewd figurines to find, but one store included nude models as well. Censored with tape. Even still, kind of surprising to me since it seems such material is under some strict rules.
From one of these stores I found something I have been looking for a while, as well as things to bring back to my family back in Finland. I'm glad that I won't be going back completely empty-handed.

One day after school I, Teo and BG went for dinner at a nearby food court in And Mo Kio. BG said that I "hold chopsticks more Chinese than him." I guess it comes naturally to an extent. He also spoke about some plans about macaroni casserole, and that he'd want some since he had to skip last time. The agreement was done earlier, and we would now buy the missing ingredients. Ended up with some more premium things than before, including mozzarella and Danish blue cheese.
The final part of the Catering trilogy happened. The day arrived and we cooked for BG and his girlfriend, showing how we did it. I decided to write up a recipe in case he wants to try making it himself. The casserole was enjoyed by all, and right when the last plate was filled, some animation students visited. The literal words being "we are hungry and we heard a rumor that there's food here." The last plate was given to be shared by our two new guests.

Towards the end of the week aside having my Chinese name told to me by a fellow student (Secret-snake or Three-rice Company-strip-strength Book-weak-able), BG decided to take me and Teo for another adventure. This time we would be travelling in his pick up truck. One of those Mitsubishi mini pickups with a scaffolding on the back. The car sounded exactly like a beat up veteran of the roads should. We were sitting in front until BG's girlfriend joined. At this point I and Teo travelled in the back. This is what I meant by local experience on the title, as this seems fairly common in here. The windowless open view to the back and sides of the car really showed the modern beauty of the country. The planted trees and architecture, the open yards and the decorations. This illegal-in-Finland style of travel felt great.
We went to the East coast. More food. Stingray, shellfish, clams, chicken, mutton, squid and other delightful dishes. A good view and a dessert drink which I can't remember the name of was had while walking about the shore.
Later on after another trip on the back of the pickup, we went bowling and I suffered defeat each time. Good times were had, however.
At the end of the day I had to bitterly accept some more charity as I lost a battle of cancel-order against our guide. I didn't want a four-dollar ice tea but BG would have none of that.
It's bullshit.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti